Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Mix and match

The Ankara weather is glorious: sunny, dry, daytime temperatures maximum 28 C (80 F), cool at night.  Many have left to take their August vacation by the seashore (heat and humidity? -- for sure, if it's the Mediterranean coast), and the city seems relaxed.  Wearing my favorite Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and Birkenstocks, I went to my local Starbucks to buy more Guatemala Antigua coffee, and then to Zeynel, a restaurant that specializes in the traditional milk-based desserts beloved in Istanbul and the Balkan territories of the Ottoman Empire.  Ramazan, the Muslim month of fasting, ends tomorrow, so this is my last chance to get some güllaç, a favorite Ramazan dessert.  Güllaç is a distinctive combination of sweet starch wafers cooked with milk, sugar, and ground walnuts.  It is divine.  Marie-Henriette doesn't care for it, though, so for her I have bought a portion of kazandibi, a caramelized pudding of milk and rice flour.  If at dinner this evening she turns up her nose and chooses fruit instead, I will eat it myself.

If my recent posts seem jumbled, you are right.  I am transferring the blog from another host, but it appears I haven't arranged the previous posts in the correct sequence.  FYI: I began writing this blog in March, 2012.  My last substantial posts were in late July. Everything since has been "archives" -- posts from 2012. 

From now on, we should be on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment